Thursday, February 4, 2010

02/04/10

Exodus 25-27

Chapters 25-27 of Exodus are a set of extremely detailed instructions from the Lord on how the Israelites are to worship him, what the articles of worship are and what the place of worship looks like. Chapter 25 details the Ark of the Covenant, a chest made for the storage of "all [God's] command for the Israelites. The ark is to be covered by an "atonement cover," and that is where God will meet with them and give them his command for the Israelites. He then gives them instructions for a table and lampstand.

In chapter 26, he describes the Tabernacle which is to hold the ark, the layout and the contstruction and the decoration of it. And chapter 27 continues the layout of the Tabernacle, as well as the altar to be built for burn offerings, and the oil for the lamp.

Thoughts, questions, issues

  • One would think that God would have bigger fish to fry than to make sure that the Tabernacle was laid out properly. It's an interesting passage, though, because one would also think that the Israelites would have more important things to do, and there's no obvious reason for anyone to feel it necessary to invent this.
  • As to what the Ark of the Covenant looked like, well, Messrs. Spielberg and Lucas et. al., seem to have done a pretty good job with it...


  • Honestly, I cannot find anything else to say about this passage. It's descriptive, with no events or action, and the only laws handed down deal with specific artifacts, not general principles.


Psalms 4


Another Psalm associated with David, for the chief musician. Why this Psalm, in particular, would be intended for the chief musician is not at all clear to me. We have plea for God to answer prayers. We have a plea for men to stop loving "delusions and seek[ing] false gods." But despite those concerns and pleas, the psalmist "know[s] that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself."

Tomorrow, I hope to post an audio file of the song, "Lead Me, Lord." The hymn, by Samuel Sebastien Wesley, is based on Psalms 5:8 and Psalm 4:8. When I read this today, I could hear the last verse. I hope to share it with you all tomorrow.



Answer me when I call to you,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
be merciful to me and hear my prayer.

How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?
Selah

Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself;
the LORD will hear when I call to him.

In your anger do not sin;
when you are on your beds,
search your hearts and be silent.
Selah

Offer right sacrifices
and trust in the LORD.

Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?"
Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.

You have filled my heart with greater joy
than when their grain and new wine abound.

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment